Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Grocery savings: frozen dinners

My mission the last few weeks has been to come up with a plan for after baby #2 comes. She is due November 3rd, and I feel the weeks closing in on me so rapidly. When Olivia was born I went to the store ahead of time and bought a ton of nice looking frozen meals. The prices ranged from $5 to $8 a meal, but they were ready to go, and we had frozen dinners for a few weeks. I cooked nothing. When I started feeling the pressure of getting things together again, I started to think about those frozen meals. They were SOOOO easy. But SOOOO expensive in the long run. Something I could definitely save on our budget.

I contacted a cousin of mine, and she sent me all of her freezer friendly recipe's. She spends a week or so cooking these meals, making some for them to eat, and the rest to freeze. Everything from enchilada's, soups, casserole's, you name it, she does it. So she sent me all her recipe's, and I'm getting started. Today I'm making a HUGE pot of corn chowder. We will have it for dinner, and I will freeze the rest for after baby. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment