Saturday, September 4, 2010

Grocery savings: Beans

Today I'm trying Great Northern Beans. My mom used to make them all the time, and it was tradition that the first snow of the year brought Great Northern Beans over potato's. It was great! So I soaked the beans all night in cold water to start rehydrating them. Then this morning I called my mom and asked her how to make her beans.

Boil the beans in water. I used a bag of beans, and 7 cups of water. I boiled them for 2 hours, and kept tasting them to see when they were really soft, (like melt in your mouth soft). Then I added salt, pepper, and half a stick of butter. Meanwhile I boiled six pealed, medium potato's in salted water. I peeled them, and quartered them first. I boiled them until they were tender to a fork, and drained them. Then I put a few potato quarters in each bowl, and covered them with the beans. SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes my mom would add a ham hawk for flavor, but not usually. And I like them both ways a lot. They are excellent with fresh bread as well, but unfortunately I forgot I'm almost out of flour. So we won't be doing that tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment