Monday, August 30, 2010

Grocery savings: Laundry detergent

I've been doing a lot of research online about saving money in the grocery area. Something I found a lot of is making your own laundry detergent. I researched the different types, the different recipe's, read people's reviews of all of them, and decided to try it for myself. The basic ingredients are the same in most recipe's. I prefer powder detergent, seems to be less messy to me. So I bought Borax, Washing Soda, Fels Naptha bar soap, and Oxi Clean. I shredded the Fells Naps first in my food processor, ground it until very fine, then added the other ingredients. I must say it smells soooo good! I started with 2 tbsp. per load. Then added more and more. Now I use about 1/3 of a cup. Our water is very hard, and it seems to eat up more detergent. I did find that it works better if I start every load with warm water, then after I add detergent, switch to cold if needed. The detergent dissolves better that way for some reason. But I've now used this detergent solely for 3 months, and it's saved us, so far, over 40.00. So that's an amazing savings! I figure a load of laundry costs a few cents to do now, detergent cost alone. So I will continue to do this as a money saving strategy. The actual recipe is below.

1 bar of Fels Naptha
1 C Borax
1 C Washing Soda
1/2 C Oxi Clean

This is the recipe that works best for me. There are other measurements out there, but try them, and adjust them to your needs. My first attempt I used ivory soap, it didn't seem to work as well for me, but others have had success. I finally found Washing Soda at Tops, couldn't find it in any other store. You can also get it online. I make several of these recipe's at once, so I save time in the long run. I just throw everything in the dishwasher then to clean, saves a lot of time in cleanup.

No comments:

Post a Comment